McKirdy Cabin, Meadows & Ridge (#5 on hiking map)
- Difficulty: Medium –Hard
- Warnings: No official warnings. Check social media feeds below for current trail status updates.
- Wheelchair accessible: No
- High-clearance 4×4 advised to access trailhead? no
- Best seasons: summer, fall, winter (ski/snowshoe)
- Distance (one-way to cabin): New trail: 6 km/3.7 mi (old trail 4 km/2.5 mi)
- Approx. time: 5-6 hrs return (cabin)
- Elevation gain (cabin): 500 m/1640 ft
- Steepest grade: 20+%
- Viewpoints: Stunning views of Kinbasket lake (at the bench half-way up), and once in the alpine great views of Canoe Valley, Mt. Robson, and the Premier Range
- Geocache points: Yes
- Closest bathroom/outhouse: Outhouse at the cabin
- Cell service? Signal in most areas (not all service providers cover the Robson Valley!).
- Gear to bring: Bring hiking poles (for downhill), mosquito spray and on a hot day bring 1.5 L water/per person as there is no water until you get to the creek at the cabin
- How to access/where to park: You can access this trail from the top of 5-Mile Road (this road appears on Google Earth but not on Google Maps). When dry, this road is usually fine for all types of vehicles, though the way down can sometimes be hard on automatic breaks. The maximum grade of this road is approx. 15%.
- Best Parts: Incredible views and a relatively short hike to the alpine due to the higher access road. Also the option of staying overnight.
- Worst Parts: Watch for falling trees. Watch out: bears are sometimes spotted along this trail during spring and summer. Be sure to make lots of noise so you don’t surprise them and they have time to leave to avoid an encounter. The mosquitoes are very bad starting as early as mid-May and continuing until mid-summer. Bring DEET and a netshirt/pants and avoid hiking at dusk.
- Cabin Details: Cabin sleeps 4 comfortably but can accommodate up to 6 people as there are 6 foamies available. There is also pots, pans, dishes and wash basins. A cooking stove is provided but you must bring your own propane (green canister available at most grocery and hardware stores) . Wood stove available and wood supply is outside of the cabin. There is access to water at a small creek on the east side of the cabin (boil or filter drinking water).
- BC Sites and Trails map
Alongside a babbling brook just below the alpine meadows sits a red and grey cabin. From the ridge is a stunning 360 degree view down Kinbasket Reservoir, towards McBride and east to Mt. Robson, which pokes its head above the other mountains. This is a perfect hike for young, fit people who are not necessarily experienced hikers, but want something spectacular that will make them break a sweat. This hike is not recommended for children or those with knee problems, due to its steepness. From the ridge are the best views. Mid-summer, the meadow is covered in alpine flowers. For a shorter hike (3 km one-way) and longer stay, you can book the cabin overnight. Foamies and cookware are already supplied. An outhouse is not far from the cabin. There is access to water at a small creek on the east side of the cabin (boil or filter drinking water). The trail begins at the top of 5-Mile hill, which you can drive to. The cabin can be booked by calling 566-8244.
What are people saying about this trail? Use the #mckirdymeadows hashtag on social media (Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo, Flickr, Youtube, Google Plus and Tumblr) and see them appear below (will take a few minutes). Older posts may not be visible.
Trailhead coordinates: 52.848831°, -119.218285°
(insert into Google Maps search bar or a GPS)
Download Trail GPX file (Chrome browser)
Download Trail GPX file (Other browsers)